Definition: Loyalty in the dictionary, the word loyal means unswerving in allegiance as
- Faithfulness allegiance to one’s sovereign or government,
- Faithfull to a private person to whom fidelity is due.
- Faithfull to a cause, ideal or custom
Synonyms are: faithful, allegiance, devotion, dedication, constant, unwavering, steady And the
opposite of loyalty is Betrayal
The word loyalty brings to mind a powerful sense of belonging and solidarity. With it comes the idea of wholehearted fidelity coupled with unswerving devotion and duty. In the Bible, the concept of loyalty is purely relational.
When you hear the word “loyalty” what is comes to your mind? What exactly does it mean?
Proverbs 21:21 – He who pursues righteousness and loyalty finds life , righteousness and honour .”
What does the Bible have to say about Loyalty and being loyal?
- Loyalty is unwavering in good times and bad. (Proverbs 17:17)
- Loyalty is what you do, not what you say( Matthew 26:33-35 and 26:69-75)
- Loyalty is in your hearth. It is willing and not reluctant. (Psalm 78:8)
- Loyalty can be demanding. ( Exodus 17:8-13)
- Loyalty may involve sacrifice. (2 Chronicles 11:13-16)
- Disloyalty will be punished. Because Edom deserted Israel in its time of need, “ I will bring you plummeting down, “ said the Lord. (Obadiah 1:4-14, especially verses 4 and 11)
- Loyalty to the Lord will be rewarded. (Psalm 84:10-11) When this Psalm say “those whose walk is blameless’’ it refers to Genesis 17:1 when the Lord appeared to Abraham and said to him “ walk with me and be blameless’’ meaning would receive the Lord’s promises if he was faithful and obedient.